Saturday, April 3, 2010

The Pacific hits our shores

"The Pacific", a ten-part television World War II mini-series, produced by HBO, Seven Network Australia, Playtone and DreamWorks, debuts tonight at 9pm in Singapore.

"The Pacific" is based primarily on two memoirs of U.S. Marines, "With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa" by Eugene Sledge and "Helmet for My Pillow" by Robert Leckie. The series will tell the stories of the two authors and Marine John Basilone, as the war against the Empire of Japan rages. It also draws on Sledge's "China Marine" and "Red Blood, Black Sand", the memoir of Chuck Tatum, a Marine who fought alongside Basilone at Iwo Jima.



The series will feature well-known battles involving the 1st Marine Division, such as Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, and Okinawa, as well as Basilone's involvement in the Battle of Iwo Jima.

As for me, I'll just have to wait for the DVD to come out.

3 comments:

actfigman said...

its showing now mah on HBO...or u can download mah...I'm up to ep3...its ok la if ur into WWII war flicks...basically Band of Brothers except pacific campaign.

parrow1978 said...

I'm loving this series. In the U.S. they have played four episodes and I think the series is fantastic. I'm a huge history fan and just read "Helmet for my pillow". It's a good read, check it out if you like WW2 history.

alex teo said...

hi actfigman, glad you caught the episodes

thanks john for the recommendation. i know this series will be GREAT since they are the same people who did Band of Brothers and that was AWESOME!