Friday, May 31, 2013

Review 1 - 3R x Fewture 1:6 scale Golgo 13 Duke Togo 12" Assassin For Hire Action Figure

From a British assassin who is licensed to kill (see earlier post HERE) to a Japanese hired killer...

Golgo 13 is a manga series written and illustrated by Takao Saito, published in Shogakukan's Big Comic magazine since January 1969. In 1975, the manga won the 21st Shogakukan Manga Award for general manga. The series follows the titular character, a professional assassin for hire, Mr Duke Togo.


This is 3R x Fewture 1:6 scale Golgo 13 Duke Togo 12-inch Assassin For Hire Action Figure which was released not too long ago (mentioned briefly HERE in my March 2013 HAUL). Duke Togo (デューク・東郷), or as he is more widely known, "Golgo 13", is a M16 bearing assassin who will take on any job for the right price. Anyone can hire him, including private citizens and world governments. If he's not bedding women he's infiltrating a hostile country, waiting hours for the perfect shot in the most extreme conditions. Golgo 13 is just as adept in the urban jungle. Those who deal with him must make sure not to cross the Duke or they might find themselves the target of his rifle.




The rather large packaging opens to reveal the fully dressed figure in the main tray with his Khaki greatcoat / trench coat packed separately. His disassembled M16 rifle in stored in a gun case.


Here's the 3R x Fewture 1:6 scale Golgo 13 Duke Togo 12-inch Assassin For Hire Action Figure straight out of the box, dressed in all black suit with gray shirt and red tie, black socks and shoes.


Hot Toys had released their version of Duke Togo / Golgo 13 before but it was way too costly. I was thinking "no movie tie-up" and yet so expensive so I had to let it go because I just felt that the Hot Toys version just wasn't value-for-money :( This time around, this seems much more affordable.


Scroll down to see the close-up pictures of the 3R x Fewture Golgo 13 Duke Togo 1:6 scale head sculpt and lots of other pictures as well





Other 1/6 scale accessories included with the 3R x Fewture 1:6 scale Golgo 13 Duke Togo 12-inch figure set: Khaki greatcoat / trench coat, M16 rifle taken apart and stored in rifle carrying case, 3 watches, four extra hands and figure display stand.


Close-up view of the three watches included. I still don't know why they included 3 watches when one would have been sufficient.


Here's a look at the disassembled M16 rifle with sniper scope stored in the metal gun carrying case. The M16 is not exactly the preferred choice for sniping so Duke Togo must have a thing for it.


Weapon parts removed from the rifle case and shown: M16 upper receiver and lower receiver plus 30-round magazine and sniper scope. The Skynet produced 1/6 scale Golgo 13 Duke Togo 12-inch figure which I got in 1999 came with an insanely cool stripped down M16 that was broken into eight parts: Rifle butt, sniper scope, upper receiver, bolt carrier group, lower receiver, rifle barrel with front sight, hand guard and 20-round rifle magazine. Check out the pictures HERE


Assembled M16 rifle with sniper scope with metal rifle carrying case and metal figure display stand



3R x Fewture 1:6 scale Golgo 13 Duke Togo 12" Assassin For Hire Action Figure armed with his M16 rifle. Scroll down to see more pictures










NEXT: 3R x Fewture 1:6 scale Golgo 13 Duke Togo 12-inch Assassin For Hire Action figure with his Khaki greatcoat / trench coat

Check out the 1999 released Skynet 12-inch Golgo 13 Duke Togo 1/6 scale figure I had posted earlier HERE with a fully stripped down miniature M16 assault rifle which could be assembled - pretty neat!

2 comments:

Kaido said...

Cool! I've been waiting for you to get around to reviewing this. :-)

I have the Hot Toys one, both are cool. The Hot Toys headsculpt has a smooth 'anime' look all over, no details in the hair and very smooth face other than his frown lines. This HS has a 'realistic' texturing to it, but he is a cartoon character. It's very interesting HS to look at!

Would have been nice if he came with some sidearm or knife as well.

Part of the official marketing stuff for this figure was that those three watches are based on Seiko designs and the attache case was designed with Western Arms (you probably know them more than I do, Alex).

MarshallMadeCollectibles said...

Okay I know I won't win no friends with this comment but, I absolutely love this version over the Hot Toys version. Now I've been a Golgo 13 fan since I was 10 (1980) and my brother had some of the earlier books he brought home from overseas and I was hooked that you had to read them backwards. That and he was like a James Bond with out the cutie little remarks (growing up with the Roger Moore Bond you know what I mean) and he was a total bad ass. Now I'm 43 and have quite the little collection of all things Golgo. When I saw this I couldn't wait to order it. Now I have it and want to order another and make a jungle sniper version...or throw one in a wet suit. So, why do I like this one over the Hot Toys...I guess the main reason everyone likes the Hot Toys one more then this one. I think 3R Fewture HS is better. I mix of both the Anime and Manga but a touch of real life to boot. Also no one ever says this but for Hot Toys being as good as they are (and they are amazing) they couldn't keep the the seam out of their Golgo 13's head sculpt? That nice smooth hair sculpt ruined by a line that goes ear to ear. For the price that head sculpt should be smooth as glass. Just my Thoughts. Plus the briefcase should have the spring hinges like this one. I was afraid to open and close the case on the Hot Toys in fear I'd snap one of those little plastic clips that simulate the latches...this ones case no such fears. Plus the HT M16 doesn't match Golgo 13's gun...the butt stock is plain and Golgo's gun has a custom But Stock that actually looks like the one 3R included. Again just being nit picky but if I'm going to put money down...a lot of money down I want something that truly resembles the source material. 3R Fewture did their homework...and they got in A+ in my book.