Monday, October 28, 2013

Review DC Direct Jim Lee inspired All Star Series 1: Batman 6.75 inches Tall Action Figure - NICE!

This DC Direct All Star Series 1: Batman action figure was released in 2009 but has only just ended in the Batman collection of Toy Haven. I'm a big Batman fan and almost called my toy blog the BAT CAVE but since I don't just collect batman figures although it was Batman that started me down this incredible journey (hobby), I decided on TOY HAVEN instead and I've been blogging ever since July 2007. My first few posts in TOY HAVEN were all about my Batman collection. I've since moved on to focus more on 1/6 scale figures because 12-inch figures are GREAT with their pose-ability, realistic and life-like head sculpts, authentic and accurate 1/6 scale fabric outfits / costumes and accessories plus gear and weapons. You also have the added option of kitbashing which lends a whole new dimension for customization and individualism.


When I came across this figure at a local shop, I felt in love with the figure right away. I love the Jim Lee interpretation and rendering of Batman as a menacing and angry avenger and crime fighter AND the sculpt of Batman has to be one of the best I've ever seen. Love the short ears of the cowl. In this instance, the cowl not only conceals Batman's features but contributes to his imposing appearance. Scroll down to see more pictures :)




From the best-selling graphic novel All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder vol. One, this DC Direct All Star Series 1: Batman action figure is based on the art of Jim Lee. A short description on the back of the packaging reads: BATMAN - Bruce wayne struggles to keep his anger in check, even though he knows the impressionable Robin and Batgirl are learning from his every move. Click on the pictures for bigger and better views.


The Batman action figure is 6.75" tall and while it's touted as an action figure with some articulation, it is anything but. Actually this DC Direct Jim Lee inspired All Star Series 1: Batman 6.75 inches Tall Action Figure is more of a mini statue and a display piece since the Batman figure is designed to be placed in the main pose or it'll just topple over. The articulation is really limited and don't expect Batman to pose in any other way anytime soon. That's not going to happen. It doesn't have the good arm articulation and the wrists don't turn and the cape is too short but I still LIKE it!


The cape may be short but it actually looks good with this Batman figure. Overall I find myself drawn to this figure somehow. The sculpt is great and I liked the body proportions. It reminds me of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns version except this Batman isn't old / aged.


The display base is nice and helps Batman stand properly without falling over.


DC Direct All Star Series 1: Batman action figure has joints that look like you can move and pose him but because of his bulk and posture of the body, there aren't that many poses you can get out of this figure.


This is really a Batman Collector's figure because it's a keeper for the sculpt and the overall look. I'm glad I got him and am most happy to display him as he is along with the rest of my Batman collection.


You can't get any play value out of this which is fine for me because as a mini statue, this Batman looks GREAT :)


Scroll down to see the turnaround views of this DC Direct Jim Lee inspired All Star Series 1: Batman 6.75 inches Tall Action Figure


Love how the cape seems to wrap around him like a shield with the perceived motion effect.



Here are some close-up views of Batman. He looks mighty angry.


Check out those teeth. Looks like he's going to take a bite out of someone. Grrrrrrr




I really like this Jim Lee style Batman from the best-selling graphic novel All-Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder vol. One and am glad to add him to my Batman toy collection. Batman just looks so bada$$ and menacing here with the "you-don't-want-to-mess-with-me" look.


Related posts:
August 23, 2010 - "Batman: Black and White" Mignola inspired statue (pictures HERE). Awesome statue because they managed to make something that is three dimensional (3D) look two dimensional!
July 20, 2011 - T is also for Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns statue (posted HERE). The one that started it all and caused the revival and interest in Batman again!
July 23, 2011 - T is also for The Dark Knight Returns action figures (reviewed HERE)
June 2, 2013 - Kotobukiya Batman Arkham City Collectors Edition 14 cm (5.5") Statue HERE

4 comments:

Super-Duper ToyBox said...

Love what they did with the head & ears on the cowl

alex teo said...

Yessiree :)

Kal said...

I have the batgirl from the same line and she is gorgeous as well. I like the rare times when you find a smiling Batman figure...like he actually enjoying his war on crime.

alex teo said...

haha I think sometimes he really does :) he has to, to be able to keep at it for so long LOL